Mainframe infrstructure learnings.

You can ask to get referred in this Forum.
Forum rules
1. Please be a thorough professional while you ask to be referred in some company - it's the first gateway for you to impress someone for your professional capabilities.
2. Please do not pester - it's a volunteer effort.
Mukesh Mistry
Registered Member

Mainframe infrstructure learnings.

Post by Mukesh Mistry »

Hi,

Could someone please advise that how can one move in to the infrastructure side of the mainframes? I had worked as Programmer, Project Lead. manager and Architect. However, all of them are on Application side of it. If I want to move in to the infrastructure side of mainframes, where should I get stared. Are there some certificate which can help me in this direction?

By infrastructure, I meant the activities like - making strategies for Disaster recovery, creating LPARs, CICS regions, connecting interfaces etc...

Thanks for the guidance on this.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mainframe infrstructure learnings.

Post by nicc »

Make friends with people in those groups and learn from chatting with them. Read overviews, manuals. When a vacancy comes up - apply. You don't need a certificate - you should be given training by your employers. They know that you are transferring without the fully-fledged skills but the fact that you can hold some sort of reasonable conversation on the job will be in your favour.
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

There is a set of 13 IBM Redbooks called ABCs of IBM z/OS System Programming. If you start reading these Redbooks, it will show that you have the ability to start learning on your own and should help you with the transition. I don't know of any certification programs for system programming (although there probably is at least one), and few -- if any -- of the system programmers I know would be comfortable with someone who comes in with just the certification. Certification is book learning and a lot of system programming is real-time application of knowledge (such as: you apply maintenance to your target system -- hopefully your sandbox system -- and when you IPL you get a wait state code because SYS1.NUCLEUS has gone into a second extent so you need to know what to do in order to get that IPL started).
KHKOCH

Post by KHKOCH »

There is an organisation caled European Mainframe Academy (EMA) which teaches future system engineers. Maybe you can asked in your company to get the education payed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image