How can I tell if Java is installed on my maiframe?

C/C++ and Java for MVS & zOS.
Babin Sahu

How can I tell if Java is installed on my maiframe?

Post by Babin Sahu »

Hello,

I have asked it from my co-workers but is there a way to know if Java is installed on my mainframes or zOS?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How can I tell if Java is installed on my maiframe?

Post by nicc »

If your co-workers do not use java then it is possibke that they do not know. The guys who would know are the sysprogs because they are the ones that would have to maintain it. You could, of course, dig out the manuals on how to use java on the mainframe (is it Linux or z/OS?) and try running "Hello World". The manuals will be available online at IBM. If the OS is z/OS you would have to get into the USS (UNIX System Service) part of the mainframe bey default that is option 3.something (I think).
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: How can I tell if Java is installed on my maiframe?

Post by Robert Sample »

The first, and best, answer: CONTACT YOUR SITE SUPPORT GROUP! They know what is installed on your system!

Or, you could go into Unix System Services and enter "java -v" on a command line -- if installed, Java will give you the version.

Or, you could look at /usr/lib in Unix System Services to see if there is a java directory (usually but not always a sign Java is installed).

Or, you could run a batch job to invoke java (the -v option is probably the best one to use).