Using an existing alternate VSAM index in COBOL.

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
Anup Apte
Registered Member

Using an existing alternate VSAM index in COBOL.

Post by Anup Apte »

Hi,

We have a KSDS VSAM dataset. This is an existing dataset and had been in use for many years. I need to write a new program in which I want to use this file and the alternate index that is defined for this file. What is the way to view the definition of alternate index of this existing alternate index using CICS?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Using an existing alternate VSAM index in COBOL.

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

see here
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/s ... .html?Open

for the explanation of BASE Cluster, ALTERNATE Index, PATH
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

What is the way to view the definition of alternate index of this existing alternate index using CICS?
You don't -- you use IDCAMS LISTCAT in a batch job to see the definition, just as you don't see the definition of the base cluster in CICS but rather in batch.
Anup Apte
Registered Member

Post by Anup Apte »

Robert Sample wrote:
What is the way to view the definition of alternate index of this existing alternate index using CICS?
You don't -- you use IDCAMS LISTCAT in a batch job to see the definition, just as you don't see the definition of the base cluster in CICS but rather in batch.
Thanks. I thought it's there somewhere defined in CICS resources.
Anup Apte
Registered Member

Post by Anup Apte »

Doing some more research on this topic, I came to know that if we create a RDO definition and point it at the AIX, then we can access the file as if it were the base cluster throgh this definition. Is it the usual way of daoing this or it's just a user preference?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looks like you are confusing AIX with PATH

if the ddname/definition points to the AIX then You will get the AIX data ( keys/pointers to the bas cluster )
if the ddname/definition points to the PATH then You will get the base cluster data

read again - if You ever did - the redbook I pointed to in order to understand the differences
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anup Apte
Registered Member

Post by Anup Apte »

enrico-sorichetti wrote:Looks like you are confusing AIX with PATH

if the ddname/definition points to the AIX then You will get the  AIX  data ( keys/pointers to the bas cluster )
if the ddname/definition points to the PATH then You will get the base cluster data

read again - if You ever did - the redbook I pointed to in order to understand the differences
May be. I'll just go though them again to confirm.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[font=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May be. I'll just go though them again to confirm.[/font]
may be what ?   :twisted:
cheers
enrico