How to edit a file for CICS?

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
Anil
Registered Member

How to edit a file for CICS?

Post by Anil »

Hi,

I am new to CICS. I learned that files are defined to CICS region and they are already defined when the system was built. So if I need to change the values in file or edit the existing file how do we do that?
Thanks,
Anil
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to edit a file for CICS?

Post by nicc »

For a start they are data sets not files. They are updated as any other data set is - by programs written to do that either via a batch program or an online program.
Regards
Nic
Anil
Registered Member

Post by Anil »

Yes but I need to edit it manually then how do I do it?
Thanks,
Anil
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

You don't - unless you want to be fired! If it is a test data sets then, when it is not allocated to CICS, use ISPF as normal.
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

First, it would be a very rare site that allows a programmer to manually edit a production data set -- auditors really do not like such things happening.

Second, if the data set is in a test CICS region, probably CECI could be used. I've used CECI to read a VSAM KSDS record, change it, and rewrite it. As long as you are not changing the key, this is possible as long as you have the requisite security access.
Anil
Registered Member

Post by Anil »

Robert Sample wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:28 amFirst, it would be a very rare site that allows a programmer to manually edit a production data set -- auditors really do not like such things happening.

Second, if the data set is in a test CICS region, probably CECI could be used. I've used CECI to read a VSAM KSDS record, change it, and rewrite it. As long as you are not changing the key, this is possible as long as you have the requisite security access.
Thanks Robert. Actually, I need to edit the data in testing region for my test data, from that angle I was asking. So in test I can edit it using CECI and ISPF 3.4 both, is that correct?
Thanks,
Anil
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

I do not know what CECI is (I can guess) but the edit option in ISPF is 2. 3.4 is Utilities.Data set list. And, yes, you can invoke edit from the 3.4 screen.
Regards
Nic
Anil
Registered Member

Post by Anil »

I am not able to correctly ask it all. Let me try again.

If I have VSAM file. This file is used in CICS program. For testing, should I change the values in it for test condition using edit from ISPF or from CECI?
Thanks,
Anil
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You can edit your VSAM data-set using ISPF 3.4 for TEST region, to test some test-cases. But I assume you know the native ISPF does not support editing VSAM dataset, you might DITTO for it or possibly a third party tool like FIle-Aid or IBM File manager.

VSAM data-sets defined to CICS do have entries in (sys?) catalog - they won't magically disappear or restricted from being located using IPSF 3.4 but you won't be able to edit it for the reason listed above...perhaps I misunderstood :?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.

Return to “CICS, Middleware and MQ Series.”