Create a back-up JOb in file-aid.

File-AID from Compuware and File Manager from IBM.
PrajktaShinde24

Create a back-up JOb in file-aid.

Post by PrajktaShinde24 »

Hi,

I need to create a JCL which can be used as a back-up taking Job. Basically it should copy an input file to an output file. I have created a job like this:

Code: Select all

//STEP01 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL 
//TOOLMSG DD SYSOUT=* 
//DFSMSG DD SYSOUT=* 
//IN1 DD DSN=input file 1 
//IN5 DD DSN=input file 5
//IN10 DD DSN=input file 10
//*Output files
//OUT1 DD DSN=output file 1 
//OUT5 DD DSN=output file 5
//OUT10 DD DSN=output file 10
//*
//TOOLIN DD * 
  COPY FROM(IN1) TO(OUT1) 
  COPY FROM(IN1) TO(OUT1) 
  COPY FROM(IN5) TO(OUT5) 
   COPY FROM(IN10) TO(OUT10) 
/*
It works well and does the work in a single step too. But the problem is we mostly create such jobs in File-Aid. Now I am looking for a way of using to create a similar job using File-Aid. If you can suggest me how to do this in File-Aid, it'll be a great help please.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Create a back-up JOb in file-aid.

Post by nicc »

Why use file-aid? That is not its purpose. Use dataset copying software - IEBGENER, ADRDSSU etc. You do n ot use your row-boat as a trans-atlantic liner do you?
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Though the primary purpose of File-Aid is not what you have asked for but this is pretty easy to do like this:

Code: Select all

//FACOPY EXEC PGM=FILEAID 
//DD01     DD DSN=....INPUT1,DISP=SHR 
//DD01O    DD DSN=....OUTPUT1,DISP=OLD 
//*
//DD02     DD DSN=....INPUT2,DISP=SHR 
//DD02O    DD DSN=....OUTPUT2,DISP=OLD 
//*
//*
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=* 
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=* 
//SYSLIST  DD SYSOUT=* 
//SYSTOTAL DD SYSOUT=* 
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY      
You can also use COPY as instream instead of DUMMY.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

nicc wrote:Why use file-aid? That is not its purpose. Use dataset copying software - IEBGENER, ADRDSSU etc. You do n ot use your row-boat as a trans-atlantic liner do you?
I was at a shop where they were moving away from File-Aid. I was asked to change all the jobs written in batch File-Aid to a SyncSort equivalent!

Reasoning? :?

Perhaps the licensing fee to keep File-aid was much higher than to have a(n) (eligible?) worker from offshore to do the donkey's work! Irony was that they wanted to do it only in one prod LPAR. Perhaps it was a part of a rather big gradual process; later I moved out of that project and until then it was not known to us if all the LPARs will have the same fate.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Have you talked to your site support group? DF/DSS (ADRDSSU) is the most common way to back up data sets (in z/OS, you should limit the term "file" to Unix System Services files and not z/OS data sets), and most storage management / system programming groups have a variety of ADRDSSU jobs already created to back up, restore, and frequently copy data sets. The reference manual is in the DFSMS bookshelf, which should tell you much about the use of ADRDSSU.
PrajktaShinde24

Post by PrajktaShinde24 »

Robert Sample wrote:Have you talked to your site support group? DF/DSS (ADRDSSU) is the most common way to back up data sets (in z/OS, you should limit the term "file" to Unix System Services files and not z/OS data sets), and most storage management / system programming groups have a variety of ADRDSSU jobs already created to back up, restore, and frequently copy data sets. The reference manual is in the DFSMS bookshelf, which should tell you much about the use of ADRDSSU.

Thanks for the additional way of doing this. But I have been told to do it with file-aid.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

But I have been told to do it with file-aid.
All the more reason to talk to your site support group. Whoever told you to use File Aid may not know about ADRDSSU, or may be trying to circumvent site restrictions, or ....