Trigger a job based on more than one file.

CA-7 Job Management and CA's Workload Automation Restart & Tracking Tool CA-11, CA-ADC2, CA-Manager, CA-Jobtrac, CA-ESP (formerly Cybermation), ASG-ZEKE, ASG-Workload Scheduler (formerly BETA42),BMC Control-M, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler (TWS, formerly OPC, OPC/A, OPC/ESA, Maestro) JES3 DPC (Dependent Job Control)
Makrand
Registered Member

Trigger a job based on more than one file.

Post by Makrand »

Hi,
If I have, for example, 3 dataset say dataset-1, dataset-2 and dataset-3. Can a be job be triggered by the availability of all datasets?

I want to put a condition that the job should get triggered when all the three datasets are available. If only one or two datasets are available then the job should not get triggered.
Blackthorn

Re: Trigger a job based on more than one file.

Post by Blackthorn »

Assuming you're talking about TWS, one dataset will trigger an application with one (or more) jobs in. You cannot wait until all three datasets have been closed before the application is triggered.

What you could do of course is have each of the three datasets trigger three applications that don't actually do anything, e.g.; contain a non-reporting job. Your real job could then be dependent on these three dummy jobs.
Makrand
Registered Member

Post by Makrand »

Thanks for the reply Blackthorn. We have CA-7 but I think I can use the logic in that too.

But what do you mean by this sentence:
You cannot wait until all three datasets have been closed before the application is triggered.
What do you mean by "close"?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Obviously you are not a programmer. When a program creates a dataset then it opens it, writes the data and when all data is written the dataset is closed. At that point it becomes available to other programs. Scheduling applications, however, just look to see if the dataset exists - not what state it is in.
Regards
Nic
Makrand
Registered Member

Post by Makrand »

Thanks nicc. I did not understand it on first read but now it make sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

Or, if the datasets are created by jobs within the same "machine" then have your job have predecessors of the job(s) that creates the 3 datasets.
Regards
Nic
Gradus

Post by Gradus »

Hello,
Isnt't it possible to create a runcycle group with two trigger runcycle for this application?
Rergards, Grauds
Gradus

Post by Gradus »

Gradus wrote:Hello,
Isnt't it possible to create a runcycle group with two trigger runcycle for this application?
Rergards, Grauds
..or three trigger runcycle..
Makrand
Registered Member

Post by Makrand »

nicc wrote:Or, if the datasets are created by jobs within the same "machine" then have your job have predecessors of the job(s) that creates the 3 datasets.
Two of them created on the same mainframe and one comes from the other team, not on the same machine. And in future all the files will come from other resources.
Makrand
Registered Member

Post by Makrand »

Gradus wrote:Hello,
Rergards, Grauds
I am not aware about "runcycle group", can you explain it?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

t "runcycle group", ca
Refer to your scheduling group. You do not actually state which scheduling software you use so the term may vary depending on the software. However, the schedulers should be able to figure it out and they would be able to tell you what term they use.
Regards
Nic
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

paulaugust wrote:You can trigger the database one what about another two of the database you need to wait or else program you can implement to satisfy your condition it is possible you can go with it
What are you trying to say? 
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

I think he just wanted to say anything, relevant or not. No database has been mentioned and, as written, the sentence is incomplete and gibberish even taking into account that English is nit the person's first language.
Regards
Nic
Makrand
Registered Member

Post by Makrand »

Thanks all. We are using CA-7. I have put File dependency and it seems to work for me as of now.