Cloud computing - a buzz word or a substance?

Statistical Analysis System and Cloud Computing.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

Cloud computing - a buzz word or a substance?

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Hi,

I've working with mainframes for quite some time now and am not sure if I should be afraid of cloud computing as there is buzz about this in market!

Do you think that cloud computing impact a mainframe-developer work and the old way of doing coding in COBOL, JCL etc. will go away?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Cloud computing - a buzz word or a substance?

Post by Robert Sample »

First, years of experience will give you perspective. And perspective indicates that the latest buzzword will, eventually, be replaced by the newer buzz word. Object-oriented coding was supposed to replace COBOL. PCs were supposed to sound the death knell for COBOL. And on and on ... many systems / languages / techniques have been proposed to replace legacy COBOL, and each of them converts some of the code base, but so far COBOL continues to be widely used.

IBM has a Redbook on cloud computing on system z -- so cloud computing and mainframes are not incompatible. Furthermore, cloud computing is NOT appropriate for some applications and organizations so existing COBOL / JCL / CICS systems will not all be replaced by cloud computing no matter what. Some will, certainly, but not all of them.
Akshya Chopra
Registered Member
Algeria

Re: Cloud computing - a buzz word or a substance?

Post by Akshya Chopra »

Thanks Robert - really appreciate your reply.

Experience certainly does help but as the situation goes around with less number of openings in Mainframe area this kind of thinking , as in my question, comes to us new comers.