Difference between NDM and FTP.

This Forum is for the guests or the users who are not registered on this board. This part allows guests to post in.
FTP and NDM

Difference between NDM and FTP.

Post by FTP and NDM »

We use MEN and FTP to transfer the data from mainframes to any other location. Apart from that NDM allows you to use password authentication what's the difference between the two processes? Are they not just serving the same purpose?

Thanks
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Difference between NDM and FTP.

Post by nicc »

What do you find when you google for a description of NDM and do the same for FTP and then compare the descriptions?

What is MEN?
Regards
Nic
FTP and NDM

Post by FTP and NDM »

Oops it's NDM only. Asked this question using my mobile. Auto spell checker has changed the spelling. Did not see.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

If you consider the purpose to be transferring data between systems, then yes they serve the same purpose -- as does $INDFILE, screen scraping, and LU6.2 (APPC). The differences can become significant -- for example, if you needed a solution that was pure SNA without TCP/IP, then FTP would not be a choice for data transfer. For the most part, the choice of which to use is site-dependent and task-dependent: a site that does not have CONNECT: DIRECT (the more recent name for NDM) would have to commit money to be able to use the product whereas the site probably already can do FTP at no additional cost. If I need to transfer a screen or two of 80-byte records to a PC, I'll usually just copy the lines and paste them in Notepad or another PC tool; if I need to transfer a million lines of 80-byte records from my PC to a mainframe I'll probably use FTP (although NDM would be a choice if installed at the site).