MXG and MICS alternative.

How to do Performance analysis and Capacity Planning for a shop. We also talk about Software Cost here.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

MXG and MICS alternative.

Post by DB2 Guy »

Hi,

Are there some alternative to MXG and MICS along with SAS if we want to look at SMF reports from CPU utilization, MSU usage point of view? Or possibly something which we can use for the "chargeback mode in mainframes"?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: MXG and MICS alternative.

Post by Robert Sample »

Google is your friend. Googling smf analysis returned about 580,000 hits for me and some on the first couple of pages referenced software that can be purchased for SMF analysis. I didn't see Spectrum Software on those pages, and that is another vendor selling an SMF analysis / reporting tool.

What on earth is "chargeback mode in mainframes"? Chargeback has NOTHING to do with mainframes -- it is a company internal accounting method to distribute the cost of IT resources (including a mainframe if applicable) to the departments using IT. SMF data is used to allocate mainframe costs according to the chargeback scheme; the chargeback scheme must have been determined before the SMF data can be used for allocation.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

Re: MXG and MICS alternative.

Post by DB2 Guy »

Thanks, i had idea about MXG and MICS so felt these are the mainly used. In fact only used one I thouhgt. Like, CICS is the most popular and there is just IMS DC mainly used online software for mainframes.