Why do I need to login each time / why I need to login to view posts

Share your feedback and suggestions about the website here.
vasanthz
Registered Member

Why do I need to login each time / why I need to login to view posts

Post by vasanthz »

Hi,

I know I cant demand any changes, but stating a minor discomfort that I felt in this forum.

Why is that Every time I visit the website, it does not remember my password even if I click "remember my password".
I cleared cookies etc.. but no joy. :-(

If this is the design, it would be better if the forum allowed us to view topics without logging in.
When I click a topic without logging it, it asks me to login, it is sort of inconvenient I guess.

Personally I feel it would be better if the forum allowed anonymous visitors to view topics.
If someone searches a technical question in google and if this forum returns a hit on the question, there is no other way for the user to view answers except to do a forced signup.
Regards,
Vasanth.S
vasanthz
Registered Member

Re: Why do I need to login each time / why I need to login to view posts

Post by vasanthz »

hmmm.. I am on Firefox 50.1 and it does prompt me to login each time even I tick "Remember me"
Maybe it could be a restriction in my work browser not saving my cookies.

Also the thumbs up/Thanks button does not work for me on Firefox. Did not try it out in IE.
Regards,
Vasanth.S
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I'm on Firefox 50.1 and rarely have to log back in.
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

Firefox 50.1.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I have to login each time. I don't see a pop-up with the Remember Me, just an ordinary page, and Remember Me is just a cruel trick. (it should have a "mouse-over" text which says, "gotcha' again, gotcha' last time, you can't even remember that!").
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

I have even discovered a magic incantation to get get a pop-up for the login (click on login). I can then set the Remember Me there, and get the exact same brush-off as with just using the Remember Me on a page.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

vasanthz wrote:Maybe it could be a restriction in my work browser not saving my cookies.

Also the thumbs up/Thanks button does not work for me on Firefox. Did not try it out in IE.
Office firewalls can be funny most of the times. At one of the other office, you'll be restricted to download a pdf from a well known vendor while a social website login would work just fine!

Mozilla Firefox is creative with such JavaScripts (login popup) and can behave differently with its respective release. Please try with Chrome and hopefully all should be fine.
vasanthz wrote: it would be better if the forum allowed us to view topics without logging in
This restriction is taken back now and you should be able to see a post as a guest too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

William Collins wrote: Firefox 50.1.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I have to login each time. I don't see a pop-up with the Remember Me, just an ordinary page, and Remember Me is just a cruel trick. (it should have a "mouse-over" text which says, "gotcha' again, gotcha' last time, you can't even remember that!").
Tsk, you have to learn to read, it says "Remember Me", not "Log Me In Automatically" :D
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
vasanthz
Registered Member

Post by vasanthz »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: This restriction is taken back now and you should be able to see a post as a guest too.
That's cool. Thank you.

I guess I will stick with Firefox and log in each time. I prefer Firefox over other browsers.
Regards,
Vasanth.S