Handling FTP server down time.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
BobP
Registered Member

Handling FTP server down time.

Post by BobP »

Want to know how do you handle a FTP server maintenance at your shop?

I'm at a new shop and they have announced a maintenance window during which there will be some Jobs running on mainframe. These are Fusion Jobs and send data to these servers and will fail as the server is not avaliable. How do you handle such situations at your shop?
Thanks,
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Handling FTP server down time.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

There are different ways of handling it. May be you want to elaborate your question more?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

These are Fusion Jobs and send data to these servers
if these servers downtime is planned,
only somebody technically challenged would run jobs which rely on the servers availability

if Fusion behaves like NDM there should be the possibility to schedule retries until the file transfer is successful

how do they behave NOW for an unplanned servers downtime ???
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
BobP
Registered Member

Post by BobP »

enrico-sorichetti wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:01 pmhow do they behave NOW for an unplanned servers downtime ???
They just let it abend.
only somebody technically challenged would run jobs which rely on the servers availability
Actually they just let the job abended and then restarted when the server was available.
Thanks,
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by nicc »

One way is to have FTP batch run in a job class dedicated to FTP batch. While FTP maintenance is in progress that job class would not be assigned to any initiators until maintenance is complete. But your shop may have some process in place so you should use that. If not, then it should be discussed with the network people.
Regards
Nic
BobP
Registered Member

Post by BobP »

Actually they were moving the servers physically as the office premises were changed but we had 50+ abends because of that even though we knew it! IT did not do anything apart from resubmitting the failed job after the server was up - after 20 hrs on a working day! In my past companies they will always keep some other server up - for such a situation. Is not it like that FTP server at windows side also needs to create for some server back-ups where in such movements can be taken care of? I mean I have never seen such a bullish movement of FTP server.
Thanks,