Parameter to be added to the Job card to terminate the job if the job output exceeds certain pages?

All sort of Mainframes Interview Questions.
harish123
Registered Member
India

Parameter to be added to the Job card to terminate the job if the job output exceeds certain pages?

Post by harish123 »

Hi,

This is asked in the interview, which I could not answer. I searched too about it but I think I am not getting the right keywords to search on. Could someone please answer this.

What is that parameter which can be added to the Job-card to terminate the job if the job output exceeds 300 pages?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: Parameter to be added to the Job card to terminate the job if the job output exceeds certain pages?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

This is not quite a question for an interview. Even if one does know the answer of it - how would the information be used for a regular Job! Part of any Job is to understand where to find the information, one can not know just everything unless this question determined your success in the interview - it does not really help a daily routine job I observe in office.

Now as I'm done with venting off - There are several ways in which an installation can set job output limits and define the actions that JES takes when a job exceeds those limits. However with this rank question i don't think you were asked for JES commands but rather they must be interested in LINES. Details for LINES are as follows:

Example 1

Code: Select all

//JOB1   JOB  (@),ANUJ',LINES=(100,CANCEL)
In this example, the job JOB1 will be cancelled when its output exceeds 100 thousand lines. The system will not produce a storage dump.

Example 2

Code: Select all

//JOB2   JOB  (@),'ANUJ',LINES=10
In this example, when the output for JOB2 exceeds 10 thousand lines, the installation default determines whether the job is
  • Cancelled, and a dump is requested
  • Cancelled, and no dump is requested
  • Allowed to continue, with a warning message issued to the operator.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
harish123
Registered Member
India

Re: Parameter to be added to the Job card to terminate the job if the job output exceeds certain pages?

Post by harish123 »

This is an old thread but thanks for your answer. We had a discussion on this one some time back and I am not sure people understand it.