what's a Mainframe Modernization?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Shalini Singh
Registered Member

what's a Mainframe Modernization?

Post by Shalini Singh »

Hi,

These days we hear a lot about "Mainframe Modernization", I did rad about it online a lot. But I am not sure if I get this. Everyone seems to have a very different definition than others.

Some call getting away from mainframe as modernization. Some other are calling updating software of mainframe itself as modernization. What is it?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: what's a Mainframe Modernization?

Post by Robert Sample »

What is it?
You pretty much answered your own question:
Everyone seems to have a very different definition than others.
There is no industry standard for "mainframe modernization" so to a large extent the answer you get depends upon who you ask. "Mainframe modernization" could include any or all of:
- updating CICS screens to be accessible from a web browser
- migrating compiled language to interpreted languages (such as COBOL to JAVA or PERL)
- upgrading dated hardware to z15 or z16 machines
- migrating applications from relational database to document or other free-form databases
- etc
- etc
- etc
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: what's a Mainframe Modernization?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

"Modernization" might mean different to different people, depending on the context. As Robert has said, there is industry standard for it. Modernizing a mainframe system involves the adoption of applicable methodologies, installing modern hardware and or software. If not all, most of the time - organizations would start their modernization efforts by analyzing their current technology stack to find what's working currently and what might be improved. This can include though not limited to - improving the existing capabilities, or adding new ones.

Possibly you add more points to your question, to help you better.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.