How we can check the copybook and data set using ispf command like 3.14 or 3.16?

OS/VS COBOL, COBOL II, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS. OpenCOBOL and OOCobol.
Abbey Tiwari
Registered Member

How we can check the copybook and data set using ispf command like 3.14 or 3.16?

Post by Abbey Tiwari »

Hi all,

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: How we can check the copybook and data set using ispf command like 3.14 or 3.16?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Hi,

I'm not sure if I've understood your question, would you mind explaining it further, please?
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Sushma Rahul
Registered Member

Re: How we can check the copybook and data set using ispf command like 3.14 or 3.16?

Post by Sushma Rahul »

I agree with Anuj that this is not clear what are you asking?
Abbey Tiwari
Registered Member

Post by Abbey Tiwari »

I think I confused my self.

But I was asking how can I find a copybook using ISPF 3.14 and 3.16, is there a difference?
zum13
Registered Member

Post by zum13 »

3.14 is the search utility which will let you find particular strings within the members of a PDS. If you give it the name of your copybook PDS and, say, a full or partial field name you want to find then 3.14 will report a list of members that match. 3.15 is the same tool but with more options available.

3.16 is the ISPF table utility. Under the dialog managment side of ISPF you can create a table. This, functionally speaking, sits somewhere between VSAM and DB2 in that you define the table with a named list of fields but you access it with the ISPF API rather than SQL. Each table sits within a PDS member using an ISPF-specific file format. 3.16 lets you look at one of those table members in a readable format. It's not the sort of thing that you would use to store a copybook.