How to get top 5 rows from table thru SQL?

RDBMS from IBM and IBM's Hierarchical DBMS and Transaction Manager (IMS DC).
Anushka Sharma
Registered Member
India

Post by Anushka Sharma »

zum13
Registered Member

Re: How to get top 5 rows from table thru SQL?

Post by zum13 »

Hello.

It would depend upon what you mean by "top 5 rows" and through what method you are trying to access the data.

If you are entering SQL through something like SPUFI, then I'm not aware of a way to limit the number of rows returned purely through the clauses on a "SELECT" statement, although SPUFI does have the "max select lines" option which can be used to limit the amount of data shown in the output dataset.

If you are coding this within a program then it's simply a matter of only retrieving five rows from the cursor. There is an "OPTIMIZE FOR n ROWS" clause that can be added to a cursor declaration which lets DB2 know that you're not going to be retrieving more than "n" rows, plus the "FETCH" statement has a "FOR n ROWS" clause which allows an array of values to be returned.
Anushka Sharma
Registered Member
India

Post by Anushka Sharma »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I want to test the query in SPUFI and QMF and later use the query in COBOL program.
zum13
Registered Member

Post by zum13 »

I don't think QMF has any sort of limiter on rows retrieved, but any given query will give you the same result no matter where you call it from. I'd suggest an "ORDER BY" or "GROUP BY" clause to ensure the data is returned in the order you expect. Updates to the table will alter its physical organisation; without an ordering clause, DB2 will return whatever it thinks is optimal given the current state of the table, so the results could look quite random if changes to the data are regularly being made.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

DB2 on mainframes, you can use the FETCH FIRST clause to retrieve a specific number of rows from a table. Here's an example of how you can get the top 5 rows from a table in SQL:

Code: Select all

SELECT *
FROM your_table_name
FETCH FIRST 5 ROWS ONLY;
If you are looking for data based on a specific column, an "ORDER BY" or "GROUP BY" clause should be used, as zum13 said.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.