roles and responsibilities for Console operations in Mainframes

You can ask to get referred in this Forum.
Forum rules
1. Please be a thorough professional while you ask to be referred in some company - it's the first gateway for you to impress someone for your professional capabilities.
2. Please do not pester - it's a volunteer effort.
Jagjeet Dayal
Registered Member
Afghanistan

roles and responsibilities for Console operations in Mainframes

Post by Jagjeet Dayal »

Hi,

May I know what are the roles and responsibilities for Console operations in Mainframes. Can you please help me on this.
zum13
Registered Member

Re: roles and responsibilities for Console operations in Mainframes

Post by zum13 »

Hello.

In most of the places I've worked, the running of the mainframe is divided into two groups.

The first is the administration side which is essentially the systems programmers. These folks are responsible for the configuration and software set up of the mainframe. If some new software is required or it needs servicing or the operating system needs to recognise a new bit of hardware, the systems programmers will generally be the ones performing these tasks.

The second is the operations side which is the group of people responsible for the day-to-day running of the system. This group will be responsible for the hardware side of things as well as operating the system. The system operators will belong to this group. It is their job to monitor the system, correct any issues that they can, and escalate any problems (both hardware and software) as and when they occur either within their group or with the systems programmers and application support. They will be the ones sitting in the machine room watching the system consoles making sure jobs your get run and the production schedule is completed on time. Generally, they will also be responsible for bringing the machine up and shutting it down, operating any printers found in the machine room, and the loading and managing of tapes.

Both groups tend to work fairly closely together. Upgrades to hardware will require system changes. Servicing of system software will require down time and system IPLs. These kinds of tasks require co-ordination between the two groups. Job scheduling will vary between sites; in some places the systems programmers set the scheduling up, in others the operations staff do it.
Jynxbap

Post by Jynxbap »

Could you provide more details on the specific roles and responsibilities of system operators in the day-to-day running of Mainframe operations, including tasks related to hardware, monitoring, issue resolution, and coordination with systems programmers?
:)
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

the responsibilities of the console operator and/or generic operator

and normally for all the roles in any organization

are defined by the organization in the job/role/task description manual or whatever name they call it
and are usually clearly specified in the hiring letter

so any answer given here might be wrong

searching the internet for organizations hiring operators
will usually show different REAL tasks and responsibilities

also lurking into the job vacancies/offerings of any mainframe related forum
will provide REAL examples

googling  mainframe operator vacancies
 will return quite a number of REAL examples

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Mahirot
Senegal

Post by Mahirot »

What specific tasks and responsibilities do system operators typically handle in the day-to-day running of Mainframe operations, especially related to hardware, monitoring, issue resolution, and coordination with systems programmers?
:)