What is Legacy Modernization? And how it applies to mainframes?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Neeraj Mehta
Registered Member
India

What is Legacy Modernization? And how it applies to mainframes?

Post by Neeraj Mehta »

As I asked in the subject, What is Legacy Modernization? And how it applies to mainframes? I read about it on wiki and I understand it somewhat.

"Legacy modernization, or software modernization, refers to the conversion, rewriting or porting of a legacy system to a modern computer programming language, software libraries, protocols, or hardware platform. "

But for mainframes, if apply the above definition, what happens to JCL part of the mainframe for the changes? For example, let' say we have an application which has got some cobol batch programs some cobol db2 programs and some online cics programs and some JCLs which will summarize files in the evening to create a batch file. This application is supposed to be migrated to JAVA. I can assume that all the programs can possibly be changed to a JAVA equivalent but how about the JCL equivalents? Specially JCLs which will summarize files in the evening to create a batch file? What will they map to in JAVA world?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What is Legacy Modernization? And how it applies to mainframes?

Post by Robert Sample »

Back a few years ago, I ported a mainframe application to a Windows / Cygwin environment. The JCL gave the programs to execute and the files involved; the Windows / Cygwin process executed the programs and in between program runs there were various shell scripts (and/or BAT files) to execute. The JCL became the guideline for what the process needed to be (file sorts, in particular).
Akatsukami
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akatsukami »

Well, first off, "JCLs" will not "summarize files in the evening to create a batch file", although it may be the case that utilities executed through JCL will create a master data set using various work data sets as input. As I am not a *nix programmer, I don't know offhand what the *nix equivalent would be, although I'm quite sure that there is one.

More to the point, however, "legacy modernization" is a buzzword (buzz phrase?) used by those who want to sell you blade servers and junior Java (or whatever the flavor of the week is) programmers at a stupendous mark-up. If your machine is well-maintained (and I concede that many mainframes are not well-maintained), it is modern hardware running modern programming languages, libraries and protocols.
Last edited by Akatsukami on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I come to the conclusion that, men loving according to their own will and fearing according to that of the prince, a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others." -- Niccolò Machiavelli
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

It is fashionable fluff and waffle, with no meaningful content.
Neeraj Mehta
Registered Member
India

Post by Neeraj Mehta »

William Collins wrote:It is fashionable fluff and waffle, with no meaningful content.
Then why a lot of money is being spent on it? And how do you convey why it is not needed?
William Collins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by William Collins »

To take one aspect, "Legacy means old which must be replaced because it is old". Latest IBM z/System is... nearly one year since announcement (let along GA (General Availability).

"Legacy systems need to be replaced". Why, and how much is that going to cost to produce the same business system in different languages?

People talk about Legacy Modernization a lot. It means nothing specific. Since it means nothing specific, it is a useless general term. You have to discover the specifics of what the user means when they use this in a project you are involved with.

The only other purpose for knowing is to be a "bar-room CTO". To be that, you don't need to know anything beyond the fluff and waffle anyway, so just read a few articles, you'll be expert in it in no time.
Vicky31

Post by Vicky31 »

Legacy modernization refers to the process of updating and transforming outdated systems and technologies to meet current business needs. In the context of mainframes, it involves revitalizing traditional, often monolithic, computing systems by incorporating modern technologies, enhancing scalability, and improving overall efficiency. For more information on legacy software modernization services, you can visit https://www.cleveroad.com/services/lega ... -services/
KafirDoorn

Post by KafirDoorn »

What specific benefits does legacy modernization bring to mainframes, and how does it address the challenges associated with outdated systems?
:)
DesNic

Post by DesNic »

Legacy modernization injects new life into mainframe systems by enhancing agility, scalability, and cost-efficiency. It tackles the challenges posed by outdated systems, streamlining operations, improving user experience, and positioning organizations for the dynamic demands of the digital era.
TechNaina
Peru

Post by TechNaina »

How can legacy modernization address the challenges associated with outdated systems, and what specific benefits does it bring to mainframes in terms of agility, scalability, and cost-efficiency?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

topic locked ...
useless waste of resources for questions that cannot be answered by a simple reply on a forum

see her for some answers
https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp5719.html
or here
https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp5705.html
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)

Return to “Other Mainframe Topics, Off-Topics, FAQs.”