Legacy Modernization.

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
cobollearn
Registered Member

Legacy Modernization.

Post by cobollearn »

Hi,

What is Legacy Modernization?

I thought it was to do with moving to newer technologies, like moving away from the mainframes. But when searched the forum on this I got to the topic viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2045 which says same for something else:
they both describe plans/intents to migrate away from mainframes
so what is Legacy Modernization?
nicc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Legacy Modernization.

Post by nicc »

plans/intents to migrate away from mainframes
Regards
Nic
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

I've seen various systems running on Windows servers described as "legacy systems" so legacy modernization may not refer to a mainframe (even though most of them do).  Broadly, legacy modernization is the process of moving legacy systems (HOWEVER they are defined) to a modern platform using current tools and languages while keeping the business logic intact.  These projects tend to be large as many legacy systems are quite complex and interact in many ways with other systems and even other companies.  The pitfalls in such projects include: ensuring all the business logic is transferred, picking a modern platform / language / tool set that won't be obsolete in a few years, and the actual conversion process which requires people with expertise in the legacy system tools and languages as well as the modern tools and languages.
Pradeep Singh
Registered Member

Post by Pradeep Singh »

In our company, when it's a mainframe project and people talk about legacy modernization, it always means to get away from mainframes. But according to some of the recent advancement in mainframes, should legacy modernization really meant to move away from mainframes?
Ankit Kumar Gupta
Registered Member

Post by Ankit Kumar Gupta »

This is a term I hear in my office too. I have searched on the internet it many times but I do not find any references from IBM but I find some from some other companies. Does IBM also have some articles on this topic?
Pradeep Singh
Registered Member

Post by Pradeep Singh »

Ankit Kumar Gupta wrote:This is a term  I hear in my office too. I have searched on the internet it many times but I do not find any references from IBM but I find some from some other companies. Does IBM also have some articles on this topic?
I don't think so that IBM will have some articles on how to move away from mainframes. They are the one making it! :evil:
cobollearn
Registered Member

Post by cobollearn »

Robert Sample wrote:I've seen various systems running on Windows servers described as "legacy systems" so legacy modernization may not refer to a mainframe (even though most of them do).  Broadly, legacy modernization is the process of moving legacy systems (HOWEVER they are defined) to a modern platform using current tools and languages while keeping the business logic intact.  These projects tend to be large as many legacy systems are quite complex and interact in many ways with other systems and even other companies.  The pitfalls in such projects include: ensuring all the business logic is transferred, picking a modern platform / language / tool set that won't be obsolete in a few years, and the actual conversion process which requires people with expertise in the legacy system tools and languages as well as the modern tools and languages.
Thanks.
I have heard JAVA systems being called as legacy. That's where the entire discussion depends on how the legacy is defined!
cobollearn
Registered Member

Post by cobollearn »

Pradeep Singh wrote:In our company, when it's a mainframe project and people talk about legacy modernization, it always means to get away from mainframes. But according to some of the recent advancement in mainframes, should legacy modernization really meant to move away from mainframes?
Such news are worrisome. If it all hapeens, what should  we do in 3-4 years from now?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Keep using the mainframe.  The usual experience is to spend 8 to 10 years moving off the mainframe only to find issues with the replacement system and go back to the mainframe.