How do I improve my coding skills, and how do I prepare for jobs in mainframes?

You can ask to get referred in this Forum.
Forum rules
1. Please be a thorough professional while you ask to be referred in some company - it's the first gateway for you to impress someone for your professional capabilities.
2. Please do not pester - it's a volunteer effort.
Sumit Mehra
Registered Member

Post by Sumit Mehra »

Hi,

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Re: How do I improve my coding skills, and how do I prepare for jobs in mainframes?

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Improving your coding skills and preparing for jobs in mainframes requires a combination of learning, practice, and staying updated with industry trends. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you enhance your coding skills and prepare for a career in mainframes:

1. Learn the Basics:
Understand Mainframe Architecture: Familiarize yourself with the basic components of a mainframe system, including CPU, memory, storage, and I/O devices.
Learn COBOL: As a primary language for mainframes, COBOL is essential. Utilize online tutorials, courses, or textbooks to grasp its syntax and structure.

2. Enroll in Courses:
Online Platforms: Utilize online learning platforms such as Coursera, Udacity, or edX, which offer courses on mainframes, COBOL, and related technologies.
Certifications: Consider earning certifications like IBM Certified System Programmer or IBM Certified Application Developer.

3. Practice Coding:
Coding Challenges: Engage in coding challenges on platforms like HackerRank or LeetCode. Focus on algorithmic problem-solving to enhance your overall programming skills.
Build Projects: Create small projects or contribute to open-source mainframe projects to apply your knowledge in a practical setting.

4. Explore DevOps Practices:
Learn Version Control: Understand version control systems like Git to collaborate efficiently on codebases.
Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD): Explore CI/CD pipelines and tools for automating the software development lifecycle.

5. Networking and Community Engagement:
Join Forums: Participate in online forums and communities related to mainframes. Platforms like IBM Developer Community and Stack Overflow can be valuable resources.
Attend Conferences and Webinars: Attend conferences, webinars, or meetups to stay updated on industry trends and connect with professionals.

6. Read Documentation and Manuals:
IBM Documentation: Familiarize yourself with IBM's documentation for mainframes and related technologies. This will deepen your understanding and provide valuable insights.

7. Internships and Real-world Experience:
Internships: Look for internships or entry-level positions to gain hands-on experience. Many organizations offer internships specifically for mainframe roles.
Contribute to Open Source: Contribute to mainframe-related open-source projects on platforms like GitHub to showcase your skills.

8. Soft Skills and Communication:
Communication Skills: Develop effective communication skills, as they are crucial in a professional setting.
Problem-Solving: Hone your problem-solving skills, as this is a key aspect of coding and working with mainframe systems.

9. Stay Updated:
Follow Industry Blogs and News: Subscribe to industry blogs, newsletters, and news sources to stay informed about the latest developments in mainframes and related technologies.

10. Prepare for Interviews:
Technical Interviews: Practice common technical interview questions related to mainframes, algorithms, and data structures.

Behavioral Interviews: Prepare for behavioral questions and scenarios that assess your problem-solving and teamwork skills.

11. Build a Portfolio:
GitHub Profile: Showcase your projects, contributions, and coding skills on a GitHub profile. It serves as a portfolio for potential employers.

12. Seek Mentorship:
Connect with Professionals: Reach out to professionals in the field for mentorship. Networking can provide valuable insights and guidance.

13. Consider Additional Technologies:
Learn Database Systems: Understand database systems commonly used with mainframes, such as DB2.
Explore Virtualization: Familiarize yourself with virtualization technologies like z/VM.

Remember, learning is an ongoing process, and staying curious and adaptable will serve you well in the dynamic field of mainframes. Tailor your learning path to your strengths and interests, and don't hesitate to seek help from the supportive mainframe community.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Sumit Mehra
Registered Member

Re: How do I improve my coding skills, and how do I prepare for jobs in mainframes?

Post by Sumit Mehra »

Thank you Anuj. That's more than what I thought to get. Is there no way to do it real fast?