What could be the reason for S722 abend?

Other Mainframe related questions which attracts you and there is no suitable Forum you find for it and related FAQs.
Bobbie V

Post by Bobbie V »

Can someone help me?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What could be the reason for S722 abend?

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

googlin with ibm abend s722
will return the links to the manuals with the expanation

hint ...
The S722 ABEND is specific to the SYSOUT limit.
Receiving the ABEND722 indicates the SYSOUT limit was exceeded

speak to your support
a large number of lines might be acceptable
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Inmanrep

Post by Inmanrep »

Have you considered checking the IBM manuals for an explanation of the S722 abend, as it seems to be specific to the SYSOUT limit, and reaching out to your support for assistance, especially if the SYSOUT limit was exceeded due to a large number of lines?
:)
Bobbie V

Post by Bobbie V »

enrico-sorichetti wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:30 pm googlin with ibm abend s722
will return the links to the manuals with the expanation

hint ...
The S722 ABEND is specific to the SYSOUT limit.
Receiving the ABEND722 indicates the SYSOUT limit was exceeded

speak to your support
a large number of lines might be acceptable
Thanks. Can we not increase the lines our self?
Bobbie V

Post by Bobbie V »

Inmanrep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:56 am Have you considered checking the IBM manuals for an explanation of the S722 abend, as it seems to be specific to the SYSOUT limit, and reaching out to your support for assistance, especially if the SYSOUT limit was exceeded due to a large number of lines?
In office we are not allowed to open external links. I search this site on phone and did not think of finding manuals there. Will check, do we have manuals on this site?
enrico-sorichetti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by enrico-sorichetti »

what did you not understand when i wrote

speak to your support

changing the sysout limits might affect in a bad way  tha availability of spool space

cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort 8-)
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

S722 abend (Abend Subcode 0722) in IBM z/OS environments signifies that an output limit has been exceeded. This means that a job or process produced more data than allowed by the configured limits.Common Causes:
  • Exceeded OUTLIM keyword on SYSOUT DD statement: This specifies the maximum output for a specific dataset. Review and adjust if necessary.
Whether an application programmer can directly set a value for OUTLIM depends on the specific environment and configuration:JES2:
  • In JES2, the OUTLIM keyword on the SYSOUT DD statement defines the maximum output allowed for a specific dataset. Application programmers typically don't have direct access to modify this keyword. Changing it might require adjustments in JCL or system-level configurations managed by administrators or operations personnel.
JES3:
  • JES3 allows more flexibility. While the OUTLIM keyword might still be controlled by system configurations, some installations might grant limited access to application programmers through JCL parameters or specific APIs. However, this depends on the individual system's security and authorization settings.
Other factors:
  • Even if programmers have some control over output limits, exceeding those limits could still trigger abnormal abends if they create excessive output due to errors or miscalculations.
  • Security considerations and the potential for misuse often restrict direct programmer access to output limit settings.
Best, talk to your support group as enrico has said.

Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Bobbie V" wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:49 pm
Will check, do we have manuals on this site?
This might help for some topics: manuals
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
zum13
Registered Member

Post by zum13 »

In office we are not allowed to open external links. I search this site on phone and did not think of finding manuals there. Will check, do we have manuals on this site?

IBM's documentation can be accessed in an offline format in a couple of ways, but you will need to download stuff to gain access. Once that's done, you can take it where you need to go.

If you're familiar with IBM's online documentation offerings, then there's an offline tool that does the same thing. You'll need to download both the tool and the documentation set that you need from the online site. Details are here: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/offline .

IBM also provides most documentation as PDF files which can be downloaded en-masse in zip files. There are generally links on the online documentation pages that allow you to do this, but they are available in other locations as well. For example, the z/OS documentation can be downloaded here: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos . Selecting a version gives a page on which one of the options is "PDF files for the z/OS v.r library".