Moderator's Interview Series: Robert Sample.

Announcements: A member should be concerned about. And the Rules you should follow.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Moderator's Interview Series: Robert Sample.

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Moderator's Interview : Robert Sample
zMainframes: Do you use an avatar name here or you use your real name as avatar name? If you are using an avatar name, is there a story behind choosing that name which you might like to share with us?

ANSWER

I use my real name. At a previous employer, a co-worker searched for help on a mainframe question and found one of my online answers. He had trouble believing that it was really me!

zMainframes: How long you have been associated with computers, in general? And since when you've been working with mainframes? Would you like to share your IT experience with us?

ANSWER

I started working with computers in high school in 1971 on a GE time-shared system using BASIC. We connected with an acoustic modem (you dialed the number, waited for the data beeps to start, then put the telephone handset into the modem to connect) and we were thrilled when our line speed was tripled from 110 baud to 300 baud (11 to 30 characters per second). I started with mainframes in college in 1975, working for the computer center as an operator / programmer on a 360/30 using OS/MFT; we had 3 partitions of 32K, 16K, and 16K to run programs in. My first full-time job in 1977 was specifically as a mainframe programmer.

zMainframes: Have you worked on IBM mainframes mostly or you have worked with other vendors too? If yes, could you please name them and do you see a difference among hardware per se?

ANSWER

I've mostly worked on mainframes (IBM and Amdahl both), but I have used DEC PDP 7, HP 3000, HP 2000, and Motorola Four Phase minicomputers at various times. I've always managed to adjust as I see a computer as a computer as a computer.

zMainframes: What difference do you see, from S360 days to zOS 2.x days - ease of use, better interface, more power to end user or something more? Describe it in your own words.

ANSWER

I think the biggest difference is the wide range of uses for the mainframe. It is used with Java, web sites, and many other area not even thought of when it was developed.

zMainframes: In an age of social-media, cloud, DevOps and you name it technology where do you see mainframe in the computer industry?

ANSWER

I think the mainframe continues to be a key technology and don't see that changing anytime in the next 10 to 12 years. The large companies that use mainframes don't see any replacement technology on the horizon.

zMainframes: Why do you help on Forums? And what is the message you'd like to give to the new Forum users - rationally, irrespective of their experience in the field?

ANSWER

I like giving back to the community and helping on the various forums I participate in does that. The message I'd give to new Forum users is to learn how to debug -- how to find the messages in the manual, interpret what the messages tell you, and learn to apply that to the specific situation. Also, learn to rely upon the site support group; they can really ease the troubleshooting process.

zMainframes: What is your take on statements like "millennial are not attracted towards mainframe?" Are we not advertising this platform good enough or there is more to it, your thoughts please.

ANSWER

I think millenials are too young to have a sense of history and hence do not understand the importance of the mainframe. Colleges react to their interests in designing their curricula, so mainframes are not often taught despite their importance to the industry. Executives in those companies with mainframes are very much aware of the lack of new people and are taking steps to address the issue.

Modification Log: Posted the initial version, 24 Mar, 2018
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
zprogrammer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Moderator's Interview Series: Robert Sample.

Post by zprogrammer »

Excellent 😊

[ Post made via Android ] Image
zprogrammer
Akshypal
Registered Member

Post by Akshypal »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 amI've mostly worked on mainframes (IBM and Amdahl both), but I have used DEC PDP 7, HP 3000, HP 2000, and Motorola Four Phase minicomputers at various times. I've always managed to adjust as I see a computer as a computer as a computer.
I have mostly worked on IBM mainframe computers and heard about HP servers for ATM machines. Are the other mainframes could not become famous or were just of not much use?
Mainframe Bear
Registered Member

Post by Mainframe Bear »

Thanks for sharing the interview Anuj. This was a great read. Do you plan to have more interviews?
Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 amI think the mainframe continues to be a key technology and don't see that changing anytime in the next 10 to 12 years. The large companies that use mainframes don't see any replacement technology on the horizon.
So is it a warning for us who have more than 10 to 12 years to spend in Job?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

No, you misunderstand completely. What I am saying is that mainframes are around for a long time and many people with 20 or 30 years to go in their career would find it advantageous to get into mainframes. 10 to 12 years is as far as anyone looks; the mainframe won't be disappearing in 13 years but nobody will commit to what will be happening that far out.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Mainframe Bear wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:05 pmThanks for sharing the interview Anuj. This was a great read. Do you plan to have more interviews?
You're welcome! :)

Yes, if I could get the interviews I'd do so - however, if you've not looked at other interviews, there are few already:

Moderator's Interview Series: Akatsukami.

Moderator's Interview Series: nicc.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
Mainframe Bear
Registered Member

Post by Mainframe Bear »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:18 pmYes, if I could get the interviews I'd do so - however, if you've not looked at other interviews, there are few already:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3564

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4031
Great, great, Thanks Anuj!
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

You're welcome! :)

Have Fun,
Thanks,
Anuj

AD991
Registered Member

Post by AD991 »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 amI use my real name. At a previous employer, a co-worker searched for help on a mainframe question and found one of my online answers. He had trouble believing that it was really me!
What he thought about you?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

Oh, he was impressed that he knew someone that posted online!
AmjzadAli
Registered Member

Post by AmjzadAli »

This is excellent read. Please have more interviews.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Thanks. Sure, we're trying.
Thanks,
Anuj

Sanjeev Kumar

Post by Sanjeev Kumar »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 am
Moderator's Interview : Robert Sample zMainframes: Why do you help on Forums? And what is the message you'd like to give to the new Forum users - rationally, irrespective of their experience in the field?

ANSWER

I like giving back to the community and helping on the various forums I participate in does that. The message I'd give to new Forum users is to learn how to debug -- how to find the messages in the manual, interpret what the messages tell you, and learn to apply that to the specific situation. Also, learn to rely upon the site support group; they can really ease the troubleshooting process.
This is very humble of you Robert. There are lot of your replies which helped me a lot. Your giving-back did helped me very well, please keep on answering on this website.
DB2 Guy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
India

Post by DB2 Guy »

Robert is one of the most knowledgeable person around on this website. It's really great reading your views Robert. Appreciate sharing that with us.

Respect,
Rohit Jain
Registered Member

Post by Rohit Jain »

Anuj Dhawan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 am
Moderator's Interview : Robert Sample
zMainframes: Do you use an avatar name here or you use your real name as avatar name? If you are using an avatar name, is there a story behind choosing that name which you might like to share with us?

ANSWER

I use my real name. At a previous employer, a co-worker searched for help on a mainframe question and found one of my online answers. He had trouble believing that it was really me!

zMainframes: How long you have been associated with computers, in general? And since when you've been working with mainframes? Would you like to share your IT experience with us?

ANSWER

I started working with computers in high school in 1971 on a GE time-shared system using BASIC. We connected with an acoustic modem (you dialed the number, waited for the data beeps to start, then put the telephone handset into the modem to connect) and we were thrilled when our line speed was tripled from 110 baud to 300 baud (11 to 30 characters per second). I started with mainframes in college in 1975, working for the computer center as an operator / programmer on a 360/30 using OS/MFT; we had 3 partitions of 32K, 16K, and 16K to run programs in. My first full-time job in 1977 was specifically as a mainframe programmer.

zMainframes: Have you worked on IBM mainframes mostly or you have worked with other vendors too? If yes, could you please name them and do you see a difference among hardware per se?

ANSWER

I've mostly worked on mainframes (IBM and Amdahl both), but I have used DEC PDP 7, HP 3000, HP 2000, and Motorola Four Phase minicomputers at various times. I've always managed to adjust as I see a computer as a computer as a computer.

zMainframes: What difference do you see, from S360 days to zOS 2.x days - ease of use, better interface, more power to end user or something more? Describe it in your own words.

ANSWER

I think the biggest difference is the wide range of uses for the mainframe. It is used with Java, web sites, and many other area not even thought of when it was developed.

zMainframes: In an age of social-media, cloud, DevOps and you name it technology where do you see mainframe in the computer industry?

ANSWER

I think the mainframe continues to be a key technology and don't see that changing anytime in the next 10 to 12 years. The large companies that use mainframes don't see any replacement technology on the horizon.

zMainframes: Why do you help on Forums? And what is the message you'd like to give to the new Forum users - rationally, irrespective of their experience in the field?

ANSWER

zMainframes: What is your take on statements like "millennial are not attracted towards mainframe?" Are we not advertising this platform good enough or there is more to it, your thoughts please.

ANSWER

I think millenials are too young to have a sense of history and hence do not understand the importance of the mainframe. Colleges react to their interests in designing their curricula, so mainframes are not often taught despite their importance to the industry. Executives in those companies with mainframes are very much aware of the lack of new people and are taking steps to address the issue.

Modification Log: Posted the initial version, 24 Mar, 2018
Thank you for all the help you've provided Robert. I had been reading a lot of your replies over the years.