What is the use of Panel Group in SDF 2?

Customer Information Control System. Middleware and MQ Series.
durga
Registered Member

What is the use of Panel Group in SDF 2?

Post by durga »

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out What is the use of Panel Group in SDF 2 when we create the CICS map? Is not it equal to a CICS MAPSET?

I looked in to the manuals, but it talks how to use it but does not tell what would happen if we don't use it and if can be compared with MAPSET? Can someone please share knowledge about it?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: What is the use of Panel Group in SDF 2?

Post by Robert Sample »

From http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bi ... US5665-366 :
Online SDF II functions operate under ISPF.

Productivity oriented dialogs for the definition and maintenance of the following objects:
Panels (maps, format sets)
Panel groups (map sets, map groups)
Partition sets (partition definition blocks)
Attention Interrupt Descriptor (AID) tables
Operator control tables
and also
Panel Group Editor: A panel group is a specification object containing information required by the CICS/BMS, CSP/AD, or GDDM execution-time services. The components of a panel group are its characteristics, a list of all panels to be contained, and, for GDDM, a list of all programmed symbol sets used explicitly or implicitly by the panel group.
It is not called a mapset as panel groups (and SDF 2 in general) can deal with CICS, IMS, CSP, ISPF, and GDDM -- not all of which have mapsets.
durga
Registered Member

Post by durga »

Thanks. I was trying to analogy for understanding. If there were only CICS maps, could I say that 'panel group editor' is equivalent to MAPSET, as far as the functionality of it is concerned? I am asking this to understand it conceptually.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

The first quote in my previous post EXPLICITLY states that mapsets in CICS are panel groups in SDFII. The quote, with emphasis added by me:
Online SDF II functions operate under ISPF.

Productivity oriented dialogs for the definition and maintenance of the following objects:
Panels (maps, format sets)
Panel groups (map sets, map groups)
Topic locked because your question has now been answered TWICE.

Return to “CICS, Middleware and MQ Series.”