Job abend with file contention.

JES2/3, JCL, utilities.
Sushil Vaidya
Registered Member

Job abend with file contention.

Post by Sushil Vaidya »

Hi,

I have joined a new company, there I see a situation where in a job abended with dataset contention. Later it was told that some user opened that file in browse mode and it casued job to abend. This is new to me, as in my previous company if that would happen, the user was cancelled automatically and job never abended.

May be set-up are diffeernt but then can such a thing not be applied to current company? If yes, what needs to be done usually?
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Job abend with file contention.

Post by Robert Sample »

May be set-up are diffeernt (sic) but then can such a thing not be applied to current company?
Most likely someone at the previous company wrote a user exit that worked on the syslog contention message and cancelled the user id. While this could be done at your new company, it is NOT part of standard z/OS and hence you (or a system programmer) would need to write the code to do so.
Sushil Vaidya
Registered Member

Post by Sushil Vaidya »

Thanks Robert.

Could you please direct me to somewhere where I can read about user exits, specially a user exit which you mentioned above.
Robert Sample
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Post by Robert Sample »

You can find out more in https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.2.0?t ... tion-exits (IBM manual). Please note that user exits are written and maintained by system programmers and if you are an application programmer you could get into serious trouble with your organization if you attempt to do user exit programming without authorization. User exits usually have to be authorized programs, which is why system programmers code them.