Twitter acquires over 900 patents from IBM after ...

Latest IT News - Mainframes or Non-Mainframes.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Twitter acquires over 900 patents from IBM after ...

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

[center]Twitter acquires over 900 patents from IBM after infringement dispute[/center]
Like many other tech companies, Twitter has decided to buy some of IBM’s patents rather than go to court.

Just days before Twitter’s IPO last November, IBM claimed that Twitter was infringing on three of its patents. And while it sounded like Twitter was gearing up to defend itself, IBM announced today that the social network has instead acquired more than 900 of its patents. The two companies have also formed a patent cross-licensing agreement, which should mean the end of further disputes.

IBM and Twitter didn’t reveal the terms of the deal, but it’s nothing new for IBM, which is known for being extremely litigious. The former PC maker also makes a big business of selling its IP: Two years ago, Google bought more than 1,000 IBM patents to protect itself from litigation.

IBM is also clearly proud of its capability to nab patents at an astonishing pace. The company was the top patent recipient in the U.S. last year, receiving 6,809 patents covering things like its Watson artificial intelligence and cloud-computing innovations. Samsung received 4,676 patents last year, making it No. 2.

“This acquisition of patents from IBM and licensing agreement provides us with greater intellectual property protection and gives us freedom of action to innovate on behalf of all those who use our service,” Ben Lee, the legal Director for Twitter, said in a statement.

VentureBeat is providing our Marketing Automation Study to readers who fill out our survey. Share your experience, and you’ll get our full report when it’s published. Also: speak with the analyst who put this report together.
Courtesy: link
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
CharlesFKelly

Re: Twitter acquires over 900 patents from IBM after ...

Post by CharlesFKelly »

Don't you think that it is not too hard to infringe the patents,when you come to know this.
It seems like patent law are meant for them only.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Possibly yes, but when you had been "in the system" for so long perhaps you've thought so far in the future already, as a company, that "such a product" might come one day. And when "that thought for product" actually gets implemented by someone else - you still benefit, as a company, though you are not the one who are spending on creating and marketing the product. And I think, IBM has that edge in this business.
Thanks,
Anuj

Disclaimer: My comments on this website are my own and do not represent the opinions or suggestions of any other person or business entity, in any way.
CharlesFKelly

Post by CharlesFKelly »

But what about the initiators?
I mean, the only thing they have is their idea,then what to do with it?
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

At minimum they patent it...you know DOS was not patent and then what happened?
Thanks,
Anuj

CharlesFKelly

Post by CharlesFKelly »

That is what everybody is doing,even I have consulted few attorneys for my project.
And no idea about DOS.
CharlesFKelly

Post by CharlesFKelly »

Though it is hard to get the software patents and at some point it is good, one thing I like to add that it is really required for the beginners.They need to have their ideas more legal,more strong and more innovative and that too to be secured.
CharlesFKelly

Post by CharlesFKelly »

It was strange to know that the attorneys have the idea about the trademarks which has been used and which is to be used.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

CharlesFKelly wrote:And no idea about DOS.
Sent you a PM, I had not had the "story" handy...
Thanks,
Anuj

Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

CharlesFKelly wrote:Though it is hard to get the software patents and at some point it is good, one thing I like to add that it is really required for the beginners.They need to have their ideas more legal,more strong and more innovative and that too to be secured.
Agree - that young entrepreneurs has to be smart enough to patent ideas to avoid grief later.
It was strange to know that the attorneys have the idea about the trademarks which has been used and which is to be used.
Did you mean "...have no idea..."

But if you really meant that they "have the idea" - then that's their livelihood and they just know it and they should
Thanks,
Anuj

CharlesFKelly

Post by CharlesFKelly »

Obviously they should have.....
It was just a compliment for them.
Anuj Dhawan
Founder
India

Post by Anuj Dhawan »

Got you.
Thanks,
Anuj